Stawell - the gateway to the Grampians National Park
Stawell is 253 km north west of Melbourne, with a population of approximately 6,000 people. Stawell is renowned for the richest foot race in Australia held every Easter, called the Stawell Gift.
The town site was first settled during the gold rush of 1853 and was named Pleasant Creek, but was later renamed to honour Sir William Foster Stawell (1815–89), the Chief Justice of Victoria.
Two Post Offices were opened, Pleasant Creek on 19 October 1857 and Quartz Reef, Pleasant Creek on 1 June 1859. From 1861 they were renamed Stawell and Quartz Reef, Stawell. In 1870 Stawell was renamed Stawell West, and Quartz Reef, Stawell was renamed Stawell.
The town was created a borough in 1869.
Stawell's historical association with gold-mining continued when full-scale mining recommenced in 1981.